Monday 22 February 2010

Why didn't they ask Evans by Agatha Christie

Why Didn't They Ask Evans? (St. Martin's Minotaur Mysteries)
Genre: Agatha Christie MysteryHow I read it: I own the book.

What attracted me to the book: It's an Agatha Christie and I've read all her books.

What it worth the money? Her books are cheap. You can probably find hundreds of her books in a used book store... so yes.

Who should read this book: Everyone!

Summary (from amazon): Was it a misstep that sent the handsome stranger plummeting to his death from a cliff? Or something more sinister? Fun-loving adventurers Bobby Jones and Francis Derwit's suspicions are certainly aroused-especially since the man's dying words were so peculiar: Why didn't they ask Evans? Bobby and Francis would love to know. Unfortunately, asking it of the wrong people have sent the amateur sleuths running for their lives-on a wild and deadly pursuit to discover who Evans is, what it was he wasn't asked, and why the mysterious inquiry has put their own lives in mortal danger...

Sean Biggerstaff plays Bobby in the movie
My thoughts: I love all of AC's mysteries, she has created some of the greatest plot lines in all of history. But, what made me love this book was not the mystery as much as the chemistry between the two MCs. Francis, the female MC is witty, adventurous and rich. I bonded with her immediately. Some of the things she did in the book were outrageous and funny.

However, AC doesn't leave the mystery lover hanging. This book has: a chase for an unknown murderer, a near-death poisoning for Bobby, multiple disguises for Bobby and Frankie, a plot to do with mistaken identity, a subplot of a mental hospital and a lunatic patient, a scheme of faking a will, a murder in a locked room, a scheme with impersonations, and a thriving drug business.

Did I figure out who the murderer was before the main character(s): No, but I wasn't really trying to piece the clues together in this one. I was along for the ride.

Bottom Line: If you haven't read Agatha Christie yet, why not? Get started already!

Rating:

20 comments:

Martin Edwards said...

I loved this book when I first read it long ago, and still do. It's very light, but there's nothing wrong with that, and the significance of the title in relation to the plot is a delightful coup.

Kimberly Franklin said...

Ohhhh, this sounds like a fun book. Must add to list.

Ann Elle Altman said...

Martin, I love basing novel's titles on comments made in the book. IT's true, it's very light but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Kimberley, I can always recommend an AC novel.

ann

Jemi Fraser said...

I love everything by Dame Christie - she is an incredible writer. As I don't remember the details of this one, it must be time for a re-read! :)

Carol Kilgore said...

I haven't read her in a long time. However, I did watch a VERY OLD Miss Marple on TV the other night. She's so funny. This one sounds good. Thanks for the review.

T. Powell Coltrin said...

AC rocks. I am re-reading And then there were none.

As always great review.

Ann Elle Altman said...

Jemi, I wish I owned all her books, she's such a wonderful writer...although, I probably could get all her books on kindle.

Carol, this book has been done by Mrs. Marple series... the book doesn't have Mrs. Marple in it so the film took license but the film is funny nonetheless.

JW, I love And then there were none too.

ann

Athira said...

I love Agatha Christie too, but I haven't read too many of her books. Probably I should read a few more sometime.

Anonymous said...

I've read some Agatha Christie but it's been years. I also remember seeing some her stories dramatized.

Ann Elle Altman said...

Aths, hey, if you've read all the books in the world, what is there to look forward to?

Paul, yeah, her books have been made into films. THey are good.
ann

J.L. Campbell said...

I have no idea why I've never read an Agatha Christie novel. Shame on me. :)

Natasha said...

I too am a huge AC fan (I may well have read all her books- at least I haven't found one that I haven't read), and this is one of my favourite stories.

I did figure out the end, a little before it was revealed, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it is a very skillfully written book.

Patricia Stoltey said...

I love Christie but haven't read any lately. I do have a couple in my bookcase -- maybe I'll read those next.

TirzahLaughs said...

You know I've never read any Agatha. I've watched some films but never read the books.

Maybe I'll hit the library.
Tirz

Tales of Whimsy said...

Can you believe that I love mysteries and have never tried an Agatha Christie?

Commence the stoning!

Crazy right?

Which do you think should be my first AC?

Tales of Whimsy said...

BTW: Awesome review :)

Ann Elle Altman said...

I guarantee that AC has a story for everyone.. even if you don't like one of her story's or plot lines...you will like another.

ann

Robby said...

I have Agatha Christie's first book but I haven't read it yet. I'm definately going to now that I read your review. :]

Ann Elle Altman said...

Robby, start there. Her first isn't my favorite, but each book has amazing plots. You wont be disappointed.

ann

Anonymous said...

This is great! I've never read Agatha Christie! :)

Corra

from the desk of a writer