Monday, 11 January 2010

Starting your own literary magazine... it's hard work.


For fun and because I'm crazy, I thought I would start a literary magazine. Why? I don't know if I can quite put my finger on that button yet, but it was definitely something a blogger said yesterday.

Oh yeah, I remember now, it's a blog by Martin Edwards entitled, The Economy and Crime Fiction,
the blog post had nothing to do with starting a magazine but he mentioned a time when people went to the store and picked up a copy of Ellery Queen magazine, sat by their fireplace, and read. He asked, "Does this mean that there will be a renewed appetite for lighter, escapist fiction?" And that got me thinking. Why not start a lighter fiction magazine?

So, I did.

Two days later, here it is: The Words Berth Literary Magazine. Now, I still have to work out the kinks and still need to add more content (I already have 5 submission requests!), but, I think it will be a great way to showcase some of the really talent poets and writers out there. Plus, it's free. Come, become a follower. Check out what fellow bloggers and budding writers are writing. Leave comments -- I would prefer encouraging comments only for the writers-- and join our forum!

What to submit? Go to the submission page.


Why did I use blogger? Um, because one, it's free. Two, I know how to use it. Three, I love Google.

Now, I better get back to the magazine and edit the unedited short story I placed on there as an example.

11 comments:

Kimberly Franklin said...

This magazine is such a wonderful idea. I look forward to reading it...and maybe even submitting something, too. : )

Good luck!!!

Journaling Woman said...

I love love love this. Can't wait for the first one.

Ann Elle Altman said...

Kimberley and Journaling woman, I am looking forward to this project. And, yes, for the February issue I am still looking for poems and stories.
ann

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Go, Ann! Cool idea.

I'll look forward to seeing the results of your new project. Wish I had something to submit, but mine is all long stuff..and spoken for!

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder
Mystery Lovers’ Kitchen

Ann Elle Altman said...

Yeah, I don't write poetry or short stories really, but, I am happy to showcase others.

ann

Corra McFeydon said...

Lovely idea, Ann! I'm excited to see it develop.

(You know that!)

:)

~ Corra

from the desk of a writer

Ann Elle Altman said...

Corra, did you see, I used your button?

Top Left of this page and middle right of the magazine.

ann

Bisi Adjapon said...

Good for you. I love your energy! I'll certainly be a frequent contributor. I teach, and there's always something humorous in class.

Bisi

araon said...

Your blog is really cool! I will wait when you finish. Thank you for interesting articles.
more templates easy to download

balufeb1 said...

Good post, nice blog. Thanks for share useful information.

Ann Elle Altman said...

balufeb1, glad you like it.

ann