Tuesday 6 April 2010

Wonderful Critiques

I think I'm going to discuss readers a bit this week. Every writers wants them, every writers needs them, if you don't have them now, you soon will. I want to talk about readers that help you along your writing path.

We get different types of reviews/critiques/edits (whatever you want to call it). Some are gushy (full of praise), some are mean, some are honest, some are silly. Today I want to talk about the gushy ones, the nicest ones to receive. They can be about a book not published or a book published. They are the ones that keep you writing.

I think we should keep the gushy ones in a place where we can look at them every once and awhile. Especially when we're feeling down on our writing.

Here are some reviews I've received over the years... the ones that have touched my heart. The ones that made me feel my writing was important.
"There is so much great insight in this novel, and it is a really important story you are telling on a lot of levels... but that may be the deepest, most important level of all."
"I am going to be lost when the story ends... it is so good."

"Your book has given me a reason to stop and think about several issues, some private and that makes your story special.

"Congratulations on writing this poignant and wholly original novel. I won’t forget it for a long time."
"Oh my goodness! This is the most beautiful thing I have ever read. Ann, you are truly gifted. I started to read it to myself, then I read the whole poem out loud and it gave a whole different feeling and meaning. Before I finished there were tears in my eyes, those feelings you put in your words came through loud and clear. You are a very gifted writer and I don't know when I have ever enjoyed reading anything more. "
I don't post these to brag but I think I wanted to leave these here to remind myself why I write. Why I need to keep trying harder to improve my writing.

Tomorrow I'm going to post some more good ones, but not gushy. The ones I post tomorrow will be honest and helpful to the writer.

What are some of the most memorable reviews you've ever received?


The Moon Looked DownNow to some other important matters:

First of all, I want to thank the wonderful people at Renee's Read for award me a wonderful book - THE MOON LOOKED DOWN . I can't wait to read it and review it.

Also, I wanted to ask my readers a question...I cut out the word verification on my comments, does it make a difference to my readers. Does it make you want to comment more? Does it make it easier to comment?

16 comments:

Karen Jones Gowen said...

I haven't used word verification for some time and I've had no spam. Plus it increases comments, because people can go faster. Thanks for leaving it off :) Reader comments on my books-- to me that's worth more than money.

Ann Elle Altman said...

Yes, I agree. And I will leave comment verification off.

ann

Fran Hill said...

I enjoyed the fact that when someone tried to film me doing a performance of my work she couldn't hold the camera steady because she was laughing. That was a great 'review'.

(By the way, the performance was meant to be comic. Just in case you wondered ...)

Kimberly Franklin said...

Those are some good gushy ones to keep. I love the gushy ones. They're often what keeps me motivated. :)

Ann Elle Altman said...

Fran, that's the best review. When the reader or the audience 'gets' it.

Kimberley, I figured my blog was a great way to keep track of them.

ann

Anonymous said...

Ann - I'm so glad that you brought up reader reviews and reactions. I think my favorite reviews are ones where the reader gives me praise for accomplishing what I actually tried to accomplish. By that, I mean when the raeder understood the points I was making and the focus I had, and thought I did it well. Those are like gold!!

About word verification? It can slow one down, but honestly, I don't mind it that much.

Laura S. said...

Why is it considered bragging when telling something good about yourself but perfectly acceptable when telling something bad? So I'm glad you posted those gushy comments!!! It should be preferred to share praise about yourself rather than the negative!

I don't mind word verification. It only takes a second. I comment whether or not a word verif is there.

Jemi Fraser said...

I assumed no word ver. would create a lot of spam - I'll be interested to see how it works for you.

Those are some amazing comments - you should print them out and post them around your writing space - awesome! :)

Lorel Clayton said...

I'd keep those great comments nearby too!

Christi Goddard said...

I used to write fanfiction and had over a thousand comments on one story. My favorites are laminated and posted in my cubicle at work so I don't let the bad days get me down too much. At least in theory.

Unknown said...

This was so great! Thank you for taking the time to share these with us!!! What awesome praises, I think you're right having them close by on a down day is super important... it reminds you that your writing is good and that several people think so!!!

So now back to the drawing board for me!

Mason Canyon said...

Gushy reviews are good. From a reviewers viewpoint if they got gushy, it's because your work really touched them. That's a great thing.

Ann Elle Altman said...

Margot, I agree with you assessment. I like when the readers tell you about your character and you say to yourself, yes, that's exactly who they are.

Laura, I'm glad you don't consider it bragging. That's not what I meant to do and I will be posting negative ones tomorrow.

Jemi, thanks. And just so you know, no spam yet.

Lorel, thanks, perhaps I will.

Christi, that's wonderful. I didn't know fan fic was so popular. That's great.

Thanks, Jen, and hope your writing goes well. I have a writing project to get done too.

ann

Natasha said...

It is not called bragging, it is called sharing the good. Bragging is what you do with the intent to impress- this is not.

And I dumped word verification because someone (a wordpress user, incidentally) told me it made it too difficult to comment. And I haven't had any spam in all these months.
I do wish others would drop word verification too, because sometimes it takes so long to load, you follow another link, and end up closing this window by mistake.

~ Rayna

Ann Elle Altman said...

Rayna, I agree. It's difficult with word verification.

ann

Talli Roland said...

Those are some great reviews! Sometimes they're great to read over, aren't they? Congrats!