Saturday 12 December 2009

Look!

For me, one word I'm beginning to hate is 'look'. She looked. He looks. They will look. What a boring word. Almost as bad as 'nice' and 'good'. I see that word throughout my writing and although I know in edits I will come up with a better verb, I want to list some more appropriate verbs. THis is why, my friends, writers need a good thesaurus. Online, I go to http://thesaurus.reference.com/.

Look at Notice what I found:


Main Entry: look
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: visual examination

Synonyms: attention, beholding, case, cast, contemplation, evil eye, eye*, flash, gander, gaze, glance, glimpse, gun, inspection, introspection, keeping watch, leer, look-see, marking, noticing, observation, once-over, peek, reconnaissance, regard, regarding, review, scrutiny, sight, slant, speculation, squint, stare, surveillance, survey, swivel, view, viewing

Main Entry: look
Part of Speech: verb
Definition: examine visually

Synonyms: admire, attend, behold, beware, consider, contemplate, eye, feast one's eyes, flash, focus, gape, gawk, gaze, get a load of, glance, glower, goggle, heed, inspect, mark, mind, note, notice, observe, ogle, peep, peer, pore over, read, regard, rubberneck, scan, scout, scrutinize, see, spot, spy, stare, study, survey, take a gander, take in the sights, tend, view, watch

Main Entry: look
Part of Speech: verb
Definition: face

Main Entry: watch
Part of Speech: verb
Definition: look at

Synonyms:

attend, case, check out, concentrate, contemplate, eagle-eye, examine, eye*, eyeball, focus, follow, gaze, get a load of, give the once over, have a look-see, inspect, keep an eye on, keep tabs on, listen, look, mark, mind, note, observe, pay attention, peer, pipe, regard, rubberneck, scan, scope, scrutinize, see, spy, stare, take in, take notice, view, wait 

0 comments: