Friday 11 December 2009

My Favorite Modern Mystery Author: Val Mcdermid




I can't say I've read all her books but the ones I have, I love. I, like many of her fans, love the Tony Hill/ Carol Jordon series best.

What I like about her book is the interaction between Jordon and Hill. We all know they love each other and each year we buy her books hoping they will finally say those words... though as of 2009, they haven't. Another reason I love watching the Wire in the Blood series is because of the actor - Robson Green. But, that's another story.

Tony is a psychologist and Jordon is a police officer. They work great together. The chemistry is great.
Tony talks to himself, gets into the mind of the killers - not unlike writers who get into the minds of our characters. Hill wants to climb inside their skins so he can finally understand what makes people (like him) distant from the rest of humanity.

These books are not for the faint of heart. There is a horrifying completeness to McDermid's terrorverse. She'll write about the stuff that other male crime writers balk at.

These are the list of books in her Tony Hill series.


The Mermaids Singing (1995)
The Wire in the Blood (1997)
The Last Temptation (2002)
The Torment of Others (2004)
Beneath the Bleeding (2007)
The Fever of the Bone (2009) (Click on the link to read an excerpt.)

0 comments: