Tuesday 1 December 2009

Bad thoughts

Some days are bad writing days. Literally. I have to put my mind in a bad place to create the characters I need to create. For instance, yesterday I wrote a chapter from a serial killers POV. I read a lot of books to understand what makes these people do what they do. For the most part, they have bad childhoods and their minds are not right.

My serial killer character is the same. I have created a disturbing childhood for him and he takes it out on women. Typical bastard. But, as a writer, it's difficult to be truly scary or demented unless you go to those places. The problem is, it's difficult sometimes for a writer to get out of that place.

Not say I'm gonna go out and do something naughty. No. But, I get in a bad mood. The world get's scarier. The same thing happens when I write a happy scene or a sad scene. I find sad scenes are worse actually, I can get into a real funk after writing a few chapters of really depressing material.

Oh, the life of a writer. I know other writers who experience the same thing. Can't really explain or understand it until you've lived it.

Anyways, that's my thought for the day. My goal: happy thoughts today!

ann

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, it's good to know I'm not the only one who does that. I've found it impossible to write my 'bad guy.' I've been avoiding the book for months because it makes me feel terrible to get into his head.

Tirzah said...

Bad guys are my favorites to write. Maybe because I can compartmentalize. If you think like they think, nothing they do is really wrong. Just like writing a character sex scene doesn't turn me on, writing a murder/bad guy scene doesn't upset me.

There is always a clear line between me and my characters. I am not them, they are not me. I'm more like an intimate reporter letting you see the world they as they do. But I don't carry them around with me (unless I've neglected them).